Thursday, February 4, 2010

Christmas

Christmas was wonderful this year. It was nice and quiet. We slept in, P slept through the night, and we spent the morning with our little family, opening presents, and enjoying a day without much else to do. Porter loved opening what he got, and played endlessly with his new little people animals. He loved opening the wrapping, and didn't need a lot of help. We video-taped some of the morning, and got to take it easy. This is our last real "easy" Christmas, since P doesn't understand yet. We didn't have stockings, or candy, or a lot of "fluff", simply because we could get away with it. Next year will be different for sure! We headed to my parents house for the afternoon, so they could see P open up a gift. This was all part of the big surprise I was able to pull off for Evan...
You see, I didn't really know what to get him this year. I thought long and hard, and decided since we'd talked about it a while back, I would try to get him a snowmobile. I know I know, many of you wouldn't dare make a purchase like this without the approval of your spouse or letting him pick it out. But since our budget is small, and neither of us knows a thing about snowmobiles, I was able to get him just what we needed...
I started looking on Craig's list and KSL and limited my search to a couple sellers that looked pretty honest and well-priced. I took my dad with me to look at one, and with his approval, decided that was the one. We picked it up the next week, and stored it in my dad's shop. Hehe, "he'll never suspect". The only thing is, I thought Evan would know something was up. Nothing really ever gets past him, so I was kinda nervous for the big reveal.
First off, the reason we decided to get a snowmobile in the first place is so we can get into his family's cabin in the winter. The road up there is un-maintained, and impossible to get to without a snowmobile, plus we can do some awesome sledding up there with the whole family if we had that advantage. So....the only question was "how do I have him open it?"
I bought a gas can, since we'll need one anyway, and I wrapped it and left it at my parent's house, as one of "Porter's" gifts. WHen he opened it up, he would wonder what it's for...perfect segway, right? Well, it worked! Only, he didn't have a clue! I've been on this emergency preparedness kick for the past year, and I strung him along for a good minute while he set the gas can aside...
Dialogue:
Evan: "Porter, why did we give you a gas can?"
Toni: "Well, it's not exactly Porter's"
Evan: "Oh"
Toni: "It's for you!"
Evan: "Oh. Thanks."
Toni: "I just thought it would be good to have around in case of emergencies"
Evan: "Well, I guess you're right. It could come in handy some day"
(Long pause as he sets it aside, still staring at the can.)
Toni: "Or...you could use it for your new snowmobile!"
Evan: (Ponderingly) "I don't have a snowmobile" (as the news slowly sets in)
Toni: "You do now!"
Evan: (Jumping up) "WHAT! I wanna see it!"
I couldn't have asked for a more perfect surprise. I love you, babe!



2 comments:

~Sherry (Bear) and Stephen (Wolf) said...

So AWESOME!!! I am glad he didn't catch on!

John-n-Mel said...

That is one of the best Christmas stories I've read. What a great surprise and good job!