Wednesday, April 28, 2010

I can sew!

I decided to give these infant car seat covers for gifts for friends having babies. Maybe it's overrated, but I think they're so vital for moms. I went to the fabric store, bought some matching fabric, thread, buttons, and ribbon. I got a sewing machine for Christmas, and after I borrowed a machine from a friend, I wanted to have one for convenience, not necessarily because I want to take up sewing, or think I might be good at it someday, but I do like having it around. Here's just 2 of the 6 I've made. I made 4 covers out of 2 designs for girls, and 2 covers out of 1 design for boys. This one pictured will be mine for my little boy! The catch: babytrend car seats have different dimensions than all the others. It requires an extra 1/2 yard of fabric and wider spacing between the straps. I made regular hair bows for the straps so they can be removed and used for the girls if they want. I haven't sewn in a long time, so this project really scared me, but I think I can do it now! They turned out all right if I can say so.

5 comments:

Janelle said...

Cute! Sewing is not that difficult, huh? It just takes time (and a lot of time in the beginning - well at least it did for me). And it's fun now to see things in stores and online and be able to replicate them at home for a lot cheaper!

Rob and Jill said...

Check you out! They look awesome!!! Way to go.

Amy said...

Hey, i recognize that one!! :D

Melanie said...

Those are so adorable! And congrats on being pregnant and having another boy! You are so tiny still it makes me sick ;) I am having another boy here hopefully in the next 2 weeks as well! Great minds must think alike eh. You will have to let me know where you got the pattern because I need a carseat cover bad!

JP and Steph said...

They turned out great! In a couple of days I will actually be able to use it and not just look at it on the car seat!!