Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Crying it out

I'm sick of 45 minute naps. I guess I've always known this needed to happen, but lived with it until now. We've come to the end of our rope with middle-of-the-night feedings. I guess we shouldn't complain, cause he's a great nite-sleeper. He goes right down at night, and then right back down after he's fed, it's just the noisy wake-ups we hate.

Maybe I should feel bad about this, but I don't. He has never slept in our room. After a week vacation I am so glad this is the case. We didn't sleep remotely well with him in the same room with us. In fact, we keep our doors open at home, but keep a fan going so we don't hear his cute little noises he makes in his sleep. Then we know only to get him when he's really awake and hungry.

Yet, the time has come to teach him to sleep through the night. Any more putting it off, and it'll just get harder, right? One thing we know...he's stubborn! He will not give in easily. In fact, as I write this right now, he's crying away in his crib, cause he doesn't want to go back to sleep. I say nap time isn't over. I have to force myself to let him cry, though I hate to listen to it. This morning I took a shower during his cries, and now I have the drone of the computer fan to keep his cries muffled. He will learn, right?

So we decided to let him cry out his nights starting this weekend. From what we've heard and read, it should only take about 5 days, right? Then it's the dreaded Thanksgiving weekend, and we'll be at Grandmas, so he'll have to be sleeping throught the night by then, right?

I feel like I can't do this, but do I have a choice? He's healthy, and giving him a good night's sleep is really for the best, right? Help!

Is there a chance he's in that 5%-tile that won't learn by crying it out? I'm warning the neighbors tonight.

7 comments:

Teandra said...

He's too cute! How could you? No, don't take my advise though I bet I won't even hear my children screaming. That's how heavy I sleep.

The Leithead Family said...

Phew! Good luck! I'm not a fan of CIO, but it works for others. :)

Janelle said...

How old is he now? 3 months? He may be too young to CIO right now. I didn't let it happen till about 6 months when she was about double her birth weight. Just be patient, the time WILL come. He may be needing the feedings still cause they grow so much at this young stage. Keep with the routine and it will get better. Promise.

~Sherry (Bear) and Stephen (Wolf) said...

Never been a fan of CIO either.
...hummm... could that be why I am so sleep deprived with my kiddos. Stephen was always a great sleeper, until teething kicked in. But he always woke up about 4am to eat until he was about 4/5 months old. Be patient, all night is a really long time for these little tummy guys to go without food.

The Leithead Family said...

I agree with the other two that he's probably still too young. If he's waiting up and eating a significant ammount, then that's your lot right now. There are other methods if CIO isn't your absolute rule. I enjoyed Weisbluth's "healthy sleep habits, happy baby" (at least 2001 or later). He covers the entire day/night sleep schedule for little people. Other friends swear by Happiest Baby on the Block.

:)

Audrey said...

He's 3 months old. He's not ready. I would agree with Janelle.

Mike and Amy said...

I think everyone has great advice, but you know him best and you know if he's ready. I started letting my kids CIO around 3-4 months, but it was a gradual process, not all-or-nothing. All 3 of them are just fine, and are GREAT sleepers. Do what feels right to you - you are his mommy. Erin suggested a couple good books. When in doubt, read all about it and use what works for you and the big P.
:) Amy